Tuesday 17 March 2015

Booklook: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves



When I saw this book on the shelf at WHSmiths I was completely drawn in by the title. "We are all Completely Besides Ourselves" sounds like some physoctic, dysfunctional book I'd probably take enjoyment in as it will make my life appear more normal. Just kidding. I've mentioned in an old blog post that I'm into thought-provoking novels, a book that actually changes your way of thinking, instead of a fluffy novel that you could read with your eyes closed. Well this book has opened my mind up to learning about things I would never have even thought about before and that's why I love it. 

The blurb of the book mentions sibling rivalry so I expected a few feuds here and there hidden in a nitty gritty story but this book completely took me by surprise. I don't want to spoil the massive twist, as part of the enjoyment of reading this book for me was finding out something I did not expect or see coming, but about 40 pages in or so, this novel takes a massive U-turn and completely sucks you in. Like I said, it's like nothing I've ever read before. I'll give you a clue with the tagline on the back - "What if you grew up to realise your father had used your childhood as an experiment?" This book combines the black and white of science with the irrationality of family and love. 


I've never read any books by Karen Joy Fowler before but I really enjoyed her factual yet personal style of writing. The passion she has for the topic really comes through her writing. If you're looking for a book that will change your perspective on life or something that has a spin on the conventional family life set up, this book is most definitely for you. 

Next up, UnSpeakable by Abbie Rushton. Feel free to read along with me and/or stay tuned for my next book review! 


"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George RR Martin

Lots of love,

Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment